Keymaster;470814 Wrote:
> 1- Why?
>
> 2- It would be an easy plugin to create, I would think (or would you
> want it as a post D/A option?)

Hi Keymaster,

I guess a plugin could be created for this functionality.  In addition
you could also have tag info per track to convey this info so that
polarity can be controlled.

The reason for this is that not all studios release their music with a
polarity of zero.  In many cases, some record labels, including
audiophile labels release their material at a polarity of 180 degrees.
And probably even more cases exist (especially with multi track
recordings) where the polarity of all individual tracks is not
maintained to be the same, either all tracks at zero polarity or all
tracks at 180 degree polarity, and thus switching polarity may not show
any improvement on these.  This often happens in many cases because many
external processors used in studios flip the polarity unknowingly and in
the end you may not know where you are at after many levels of
equalization, compression, reverb, etc...  In addition, mic feeds and
mic preamps could also be responsible for flipping polarity.  Studio
mics are typically use XLR connections and there are two standards for
connections.  Pin 1 is always ground, and typically pin 2 is positive
and pin 3 is negative.  However some studios flip pin 2 and 3 around,
thus flipping polarity.

As for a front panel switch, yes it could be avoided.  I probably made
that suggestion due to often seeing other audio components with a
dedicated polarity switch.  If a dedicated button or control is
available on a remote that is easy to get to, then a dedicated switch on
the Transporter may not be necessary.

I don't know if the polarity inversion pre or post D/A would make a
difference?  I would guess that since all you are doing is inverting the
waveform, it may not matter where in the chain it happens.  It could
happen downstream even in your preamp in the analog domain.

Another thing that I would like to see is the format/bitdepth/frequency
of the file being played on the front panel display.  My mp3 player does
this and it is very handy to know what you are listening to at a
glance.
For example FLAC/16bit/44.1kHz or mp3/192...

TV

--
tv69