Phil Leigh;479488 Wrote:
> [...]
> If I mic it above and below, again I need to reverse the phase of one of
> these mics. If I end up in a situation where I have an array of mics
> around a kit, some of which are facing each other, then I need to think
> even harder about relative phase... or actually I don't. I simply aim
> for the best sound - not one that has any phase coherency. I can't
> achieve phase coherency anyway because the sounds are all bleeding into
> each other so each mic will receive a complex mixture of sounds. It can
> turn out that the kick drum mic will be the only one to be reversed!.
>
> The point is that the only time a speaker is EVER going to be asked to
> produce a truly phase coherent output is if you feed it with an
> artifically generated impulse response. Of course, most speakers can't
> produce anything more than a vague emulation of one of those anyway...
>

> I'm convinced this whole "kick drum" example came about because people
> see a kick drum skin as a vertically mounted circular sound source that
> is obviously driven from one side. Then they look at their speakers and
> what do they see? - oh yes that's right, one or more vertically mounted
> circular sound sources driven from one side...
>
> Well, as far as I'm concerned that's the beginning and the end of the
> comparison. A 6-15 inch driver mounted in a closed or semi-closed box
> will never behave like a 26 inch drum head mounted in an open tube...
>
> What about speakers whose drivers don't face forward? - upward? omnis?
> non-pistonic drivers? pressure zone microphones? direct contact
> transducers?
>
> Even the very best speakers in the world are not true dipoles operating
> in free space (most of them don't even try to be) so one might expect
> there to be some asymmetry in the sound from the front of the driver vs
> the rear.
>
> The only signal that moves a driver in one direction only is DC...
>
> The bottom line is this. The recording process does not seek to
> preserve absolute phase. The replay chain doesn't either. All music we
> listen to contains a mixture of sounds with different relative phases
> (we don't tend to record in anechoic chambers...and even if we did we'd
> immediately slap phase-mangling reverb all over it!). Rememer that all
> reflected sound will have it's phase altered.
>
> This is why I stand by my opinion that there is no right or wrong in
> terms of absolute phase/polarity.
>
> As to the thorny question of why some people can detect 180 degree
> phase changes and is it important?... detection of a difference does NOT
> imply there is a right or wrong answer. Not everyone will agree on the
> preferred overall polarity and they won't know which one is
> theoretically "correct" anyway.
>
> If you have access to the Alan Parsons/Steven Court Sound Check CD you
> can try it for yourself - there's a real isolated kick drum track on
> there (with some bleed through clearly audible). Which polarity setting

Hi Phil,

>From the perspective you describe (a multi miked drum kit), I agree
that phase problems will be introduced and it is likely that polarity
problems will also be introduced by the multitude of mics used.  Phase
problems will indeed cause smearing which will make it more difficult to
decide or know which polarity sounds better.  If polarity is not
maintained on each recorded mic in the array, the problem becomes even
more complex.

I believe that the less mics used, the easier it would be to determine
which polarity is better.  A stereo pair in a Blumlein pattern used to
record a jazz session for example would not have the same phase problems
(provided the polarity for the xy pair is maintained to be the same).

In the case of multi-miking where phase and polarity flipping of
individual tracks exist, I think the listener should handle polarity for
the playback of the final mixed track as follows.  They would listen to
the recording at both 0 and 180 degree polarity and try to focus on what
improves the most in the mix, and that of course depends on what the
listener is biased to focus on.  The listener may focus on the snare or
the kick drum for example (this is of course material dependent because
the song in question may use the snare and kick very sparingly but
instead may use toms/floor/cymbals more so).  If an improvement is heard
at one polarity setting over the other in the situation described, then
that's what the listener would choose.  Introduce a full 24 tracks or
more that include guitars, bass, vocals, room mics, etc... and the focus
may move from drums to something like vocals.  If the polarities of all
tracks committed to tape are inconsistently 0 and 180, it is impossible
to know what is right.  For example if the kick and snare were recorded
at zero polarity and the vocals at 180 degrees for the same song, you
are left with a difficult decision of trying to improve what makes the
overall presentation best.

You are right in this case that there is no surefire way to know right
from wrong because of inconsistent polarity in the mic array as well as
the phase inconsistencies in the mic array.  I did not understand
exactly what you were describing in previous posts, so thanks for making
it clearer for me.

When recording in the studio, we would often hear the kick drum not
sounding quite right coming through the console.  The signal was being
fed through outboard gear (compressors, limiters, gates, etc...) and the
polarity which we were trying to preserve at zero was not being
maintained.  So we would isolate the kick track and flip polarity to see
if a difference could be heard.  We all heard a difference and we would
generally agree that one polarity setting gave what we felt was a
punchier, beefier sound.  We tried to maintain zero polarity for all
tracks.

The example given of a kick drum/mic and a loudspeaker cone movement is
often made because it is easy to visualize and to describe the
phenomenon.  Again, your thorough description of many different setups
shows how complex of a problem multi-miking as well as stereo
reproduction can be.

I do feel that the recording process should seek to preserve polarity
even in multi-miking situations.  In the example I gave above with the
kick/snare and vocal, it would be easier to decide how to handle a
recording if polarity was the same for all 3 of those tracks.  I believe
this makes it easier to make decisions from a mastering perspective and
also from a playback perspective at the consumer level for those who are
aware of the polarity problem.

One big experience of polarity having a big effect on music was
listening the U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind.  A friend who owns
and runs a recording studio had come over to listen to his newly bought
record and as a big U2 fan he and I were both disappointed to hear the
mix sounding very flat and lacking space and with little soundstage.

I stopped the recording and told him I was going to try something.  I
flipped the leads of the speaker cables on both speakers and played the
same track.  We were both amazed at how different the recording
instantly sounded.  The stereo separation and soundstage were both
greatly improved.  It wasn't subtle at all and we both looked at each
other with a bit of amazement, so we knew we were both hearing the same
thing.

Thanks for suggesting the Parsons/Court Sound Check CD.  I'm going to
try and track it down and listen to the tracks you mentioned.  I am
always looking for good test discs.

I'm curious to know if you hear a difference on track 73 and 74 when
you flip polarity?

Also, which do you prefer, multi-miked recordings or stereo
pair/mininal mic recordings often used for jazz?

Cheers,

TV

--
tv69