I found a ripper, icedax, that will automatically apply de-emphasis if
it finds it on a CD, and it's very thorough about finding it, not just
looking in the TOC.  According to the authors:

> Some older audio CDs are recorded with a modified frequency response
> called pre-emphasis. This is found mostly in classical recordings. The
> correction can be seen in the flags of the Table Of Contents often. But
> there  are  recordings,  that  show  this  setting only in the
> subchannels. If this option is given, the index scanner will be started,
> which reads the q-subchannel of each track. If pre-emphasis is indicated
> in the q-subchannel of a track, but  not  in the  TOC,  pre-emphasis
> will  be  assumed to be present, and subsequently a reverse filtering is
> done for this track before the samples are written into the audio file.

Icedax can be used just to get this subcode info if you don't want to
use it as a ripper.  I haven't done much comparison of their filtering
with the sox deemph filter.

BTW, pre-emphasis was used by some labels well into the 90s.  (I know
that still seems like ancient history to many of you).  I have many
choice Supraphon and Bis CDs that use it.  I'd estimate about 3% of my
CD collection has pre-emphasis.

--
Daverz