bhaagensen;490472 Wrote:
> Personally I hope and believe that download-based services is only a
> pitstop on the way to streaming-based services such as Rhapsody. What is
> missing are things like quality, open api's, better library management,
> reliability, "liner" notes etc. But in the end such systems with
> stateless clients is IMO the future; just look at Google OS :)

I agree with everything you say. I would love the ability to download
music in lossless format, and online shops could make quite a bit of
revenue from someone like me who'd be very willing to pay for the
upgrade service from 256kbit/s MP3 (which is the best Amazon offers) to
FLAC. So I absolutely agree that liner notes and quality are still an
issue for the smooth jazz collectionist. Deutsche Grammophon however has
it pat down - they offer FLAC and high quality liner notes.

And the convenience of the download is unbeatable.

I also agree that the future will mean keeping my collection "in the
cloud", that is, not having to even host it on a home server. We
basically just buy usage rights and the stuff is always available
online, or is always available online lossless, and when I dowmload or
stream it to different clients it will do so based on policies that
depend on usage rights and personal preference.

...pablo

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: Shuttle X27D - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - SBS 7.4.1
Sources: SB3 (3), SB Boom (3), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v - Creek OBH21/22
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower (tuned) - Audioengine 5/S8 - Acoustic
Energy Aego M
Headphones: Grado SR-1