Kellen;505401 Wrote:
> is SPDIF really an issue anymore?
>
> I ask because reading up on a particular SPDIF receiver (Wolfson WM8804
> http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/WM8804) it appears as though the
> chipset itself prevents incoming jitter from being sent as output
> jitter.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that so long as you don't have a seriously
> messed up input signal then this particular SPDIF receiver (and others
> like it) ensures that you get an output signal that is void of jitter?

Sadly, it isn't that simple. Yes, the WM8804 handles input jitter from
the SPDIF stream effectively... but it is IN the DAC itself where the
battle with jitter is finally fought out, not just in the receiver chip
that precedes it.
It all helps of course...  but transport-induced jitter is not the full
story.

What this chip may well do is to iron-out differences in transports...
up to the point where the DAC starts.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio