firedog;505959 Wrote:
> Isn't it true that BNC will is a true 75 ohm cable whereas with S/PDIF
> it is only close to 75 ohm, giving theoretical advantage to BNC?

Not really. While the BNC is clearly a superior connector the standard
is 50 ohm and it was originally designed for 50 ohm cables. So you're
garden variety BNC connector is 50.

There are 75 ohm BNCs, you can tell by looking at them. The 50 ohm
connector has plastic surrounding female center pin and plastic lining
the inside of the male outer contact. When they are connected there is
solid plastic dielectric between the inner and outer conductors. The "75
ohm" BNC removes the plastic in an attempt to match impedances. I'm not
sure how well the connector actually does this and its kind of a
kluge-job.

I haven't even checked my Transporter to see which kind of connector
they use, hopefully the 75 ohm type.

Its funny that years ago I remember checking out a very expensive Mark
Levinson DAC with BNCs that were the 50 ohm type.

--
johnM