Phil Leigh;515205 Wrote:
> So this is wrong (copied from TACT web site):
>

> Main Features
> 5 digital inputs with sample rates up to 192 kHz/24 bits
> Highest quality re-clocking on all inputs
> 192 kHz upsampler at inputs
>
> ? - This last point seems pretty unambiguous.

Well, it seems that the TAUG on Yahoo (of which I have been a member
for years) agrees that the internal processing is at 48/96. It leaves
the web site and user manual looking rather odd...

Since when is a 192 upsampler NOT something that converts all inputs to
192? - and why bother having 24/192 ADC and DAC cards?

Anyway, because of the way that the AKM chip works, it makes little
difference what sample rate you feed it. The ASRC process incorporates a
polyphase PLL operating in the analogue domain (within the chip), not
pure DSP maths, as would be used in a software-based resampler. There
are pros and cons. Jitter-based impacts in the AKM chip will manifest as
data errors in the lowest bits, rather than sample timing errors. Random
low-bit errors sound like... dither.

Bottom line is: it sounds superb and feeding the same track upsampled
to different rates all sound identical.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio