Andy8421;533925 Wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I would to reinforce Phil's earlier comments. I recall from my BBC days
> that the AES / EBU spec was all about driving long lengths (100M plus)
> of cheapo balanced audio lead with digital audio. This was primarily a
> cost saving measure, and allowed a studio to use existing audio patch
> panels and cable with digital audio.
>
> It was not about a 'better' digital signal.
>
> I understand that the Berkeley DAC has coax S/PDIF as well as Toslink
> and AES / EBU.  Assuming there was any difference in the sound of the
> various inputs, (given that the coax connection uses 'proper' impedence
> matched BNC connections) I would have guessed that the BNC would be the
> better connection to use.
>
> The fact that the AES/EBU sounds better, and needs a magic cable to do
> it does make me wonder about the implementation of the data input
> circuitry on the DAC.

Gosh yes - the patch bays...aaargh the expense!
Anyway, if Richard likes his cable+dac then that's all that matters.
It's his ears/brain and his money.
Some of my friends thought I lost all my marbles when I sold my CD12
and replaced it with an SB2+DAC... (they were probably right, actually
- it didn't sound better but it was much more fun - I actually started
listening to music again).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio