netchord;572307 Wrote:
> is the mini working?  if not, and toslink is selected in the sound PP,
> pen the AudioMidi utility (usually located in the Utilities folder).
> select toslink as the output, and the check the bit rate that's being
> sent.  choose 16/44 and see if that fixes the problem.

Actually, I was using a Mac Pro that's located in a different room.  I
carried the TP over to that room and hooked it up via the toslink cable
(mac pro has a traditional connector).  I did this to troubleshoot
whether any of the digital inputs were working.  Once I got the oppo
working, I haven't gone back to the toslink.

HOWEVER, I recently did get a mac mini for my main stereo system.  It's
currently hooked up to a musical fidelity v-dac via USB.  I guess I'll
need the special mac toslink cable to plug it into the TP via the
mini's headphone jack.  I'll have to try this out.

It will be interesting to compare the sound quality coming from the
mini vs. streaming via the TP using the same audio file.

thanks!

--
nfield