sc53;611105 Wrote:
> I bought an Airport Express over the weekend just for fun. I connected
> it to my Benchmark DAC (non-USB version) via its optical out and
> streaming my lossless music files from my iMac or MacBook Pro was fast
> and easy. However--the sound is so poor compared to the same files sent
> to SB3 to Benchmark via coaxial cable! The bass with the Airport Express
> is all boomy, the overall sound is unbalanced; can this all be due to
> the different digital interface and cables??

As you describe it, it is more probable that some additional processing
is going on in iTunes or your computer. You don't happen to have the
"Sound Enhancer" option checked in iTunes by any chance?

If you have a stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable you could try analog out from
the Airport Express to your amp, as a diagnostic. If the unwanted EQ is
being introduced at the sending computer, you will still hear the boomy
sound, even over the relatively poor audio DACs of the Airport Express.

An alternative diagnostic would be to load the lossless files on an
iPOD touch or iPhone that has the latest IOS, and use Airplay to stream
from that device to your Airport.

--
dsdreamer