Soulkeeper;613480 Wrote:
> My CD version of -Brothers in Arms- (Dire Straits) is pretty horrible.
> The drums sound like something from an overdriven 1980 PC speaker (the
> small speaker located inside the PC cabinet, not the attachable stuff
> that is audiophile in comparison).
My CD of -Brothers In Arms- sounds great. I don't have the disc handy,
so I'm not sure what particular version it is, but it's at least 10
years old.

Regarding my own worst sounding CDs:

Many mid-1980s CD transfers of 1970s recordings are right up there on
the list. Back then, the CD engineers were clueless about getting good
sound out of tapes (often 2nd or 3rd generation) that were originally
recorded, optimized and EQed for LP records. A few examples:
- Santana: -Shango-
- Queen: -A Night At The Opera-
- George Harrison: -All Things Must Pass-
-All Things Must Pass- was even poor sounding as an LP, which is a
shame because it has some great tunes. The damn thing sounds like it
was recorded with the performers inside a phone booth, and the
microphone on the outside.

And I don't know what's up with the engineering of Bruce Springsteen's
albums, but nearly all of them sound like they were recorded with
amateur equipment, including most of the recent releases. I know he's
often trying for that "Wall of Sound" style, but it's more like "Wall
of Crap". And I am a fan of his music. (The first concert I ever saw in
my life, back in 1974, had Springsteen as the warm up act.) IMHO, the
Springsteen album that has the best sound quality is the 30th
anniversay remaster of -Born To Run-. Even the old live recording from
-Hammersmith Odeon, London '75- (included with the 30th Anniv. -Born To
Run- set) sounds better than -Live In New York City- recorded 1999-2000.

--
TiredLegs