maggior;618379 Wrote:
> What about burn-in of speakers and headphones?  I never bought into the
> whole equipment burn in idea as it regards sound quality.  However, in
> the past year I bought a pair of headphones (Grado SR-225i) and
> speakers (Polk Monitor 70) that to my ears sounded better over time.
>
> The Grado headphones sounded as though they developed more bass to me
> over time.  The Polk speakers sounded as though the harshness of the
> highs smoothed out and the mids became smoother.
>
> In the past I have owned equipment (portable cd player, various
> portable headphones, stereo receiver as examples) that to me sounded
> "bad" which did not change over time.  So I don't think I'm overly
> susecptable to adapting to poorly sounding equipment because of an
> investiment I made in it.
>
> Even still, I'm skeptical about "burn in", even for speakers and
> headphones.  What do you guys think?

The problem here is TERMINOLOGY. Burn-in refers to the process of
powering up newly manufactured electronic equipment (mainly a Mil-Spec
thing) to make sure its not DOA when its needed in the Field. Most
transistors, ICs, and such are going to fail in the first 72 hours if
they are poor, weak, or bad. So putting them on a Burn-in rack for 72
hours at operating temperatures and then doing a final
alignment/performance check on them before boxing and shipping greatly
reduces the probability of a unit arriving to the Field DOA. Burn-in
has nothing to do with "Improving" the operation, performance, or sound
of electronics, period! Its a reliability thing.

As far as dynamic speakers go, it is not Burn-in, it is Break-in. A
speaker driver is a mechanical piece of hardware. And as such, the
drivers need a Break-in period to find their working area and reach
their sweat spot. Similar to a new motor, needing a Break-in period.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp,
Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers:
Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures,
Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W
Subwoofer

Living Room:
Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model
3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini