Do you mean something like a DBX unit that were "popular" in the early
'80's?

IMO they were unacceptable, and "expanded" dynamic range by making
quiet passages quieter...by clamping them down to nothing.    Not
always a bad thing for noisy cassette tapes, and LPs, but they also had
the side effect of essentially deleting fine detail in recordings.   It
really depended where one set the thresholds on those things in order
to achieve some semblance of a correct sound.   "Pumping and Wheezing"
were other audible artifacts of dynamic range expanders.

In broadcast, they are used in conjunction with dynamic range
compressors to form a "compander".    Once again, very threshold
dependent (and at the radio station I worked at, you'd get canned if
you even touched it).   There, the function was to COMPRESS signals
above a certain threshold, and EXPAND signals below that.   It made the
announcer and the music seem louder, but below some threshold had the
effect of squashing noises in the studio.   A squeaking chair, a
buzzing fly...all would sound horrible without the "expander" mashing
them down to nothing.

In a home audio system?   I would say NO.

My $0.02.

(In my early years...we liked all the flashing lights in our dorm
rooms.   That's all they were good for)

--
Curt962

Transporter...Touch....Boom......