Phil Leigh;626345 Wrote:
> The DR factor reported by the plugin has been engineered by various
> experts, including Bob Katz...
Thanks for the link- it is very interesting.
I have noticed a couple of anomalies though- after testign a dozen or
so albums it occurs to me that the album/song mode is potentially
unhelpful. if the peak value on the tracks differs by much it uses song
mode which takes the DR value by averaging the individual songs whereas
if they are roughly the same it treats the whole album as one track. I
can see the logic for compilations bt I think it may be a little unfair
on long individual works with lots of tracks because they are often
chopped up into sections which correspond with "quiet bits" and "load
bits". I therefore suspect that the DR is underestimated.
That said I notice that for the recitative passages in opera seem to
get remarkably high scores. The most "dynamic" track i have identified
so far gets a score of 19 but is a rather unremarkable bit of
recitative from the 1959 Giulini Don Giovanni. Similar tracks get 18. I
think this is probably just because there are a lot of silences which
make the average low, hence the peaks seem remarkable.
However FWIW the only 2 proper 18s i have found are
a. the first movement of Verdi's requiem (24 bit Society of Sound
LSO/Davis)
b.      Meeresstille und glückliche Fahrt (Calm Sea and Prosperous
Voyage), cantata for chorus & orchestra, Op. 112: Meeresstille.
Sostenuto from a Chandos CD of Beethoven's mass in C.
The highest DR I have found from a whole album was 15. Most classical
albums seem to be 13-14

Is there any way of getting this plugin to record the result next to
every track as meta data?
Is there any way of overriding the Song/album mode. Having run through
a couple of calculation on spreadsheet I can see that for some works
this would make a big difference.

--
adamdea