magiccarpetride;629022 Wrote:
> What exactly does a demagnetization track on the Test & Burn-in CD do?

The theory is that music playing through the system is not always
completely symmetrical so the magnetic field generated by current
flowing through the circuitry may slightly magnetize certain components
which can slightly change their behavior.

These test tracks are supposed to play completely symmetrical series of
tones that decrease in magnitude which tends to release this acquired
magnetic state.

This can really only affect devices which contain magnetic material
(stuff with iron, nickel etc). Most modern stuff doesn't have
transformers, but the leads on a lot of components have steel cores,
nickel is used all over the place in connectors and as contacts in
components (almost every SMD resistor ever made uses nickel contacts)

This effect is significantly more pronounced in tube circuits. Many of
the parts in a tube are steel and can be magnetized. This magnetization
WILL effect how electrons flow through the tube, changing its behavior
slightly.

I have heard this effect in tubes, primarily small signal tubes such as
in preamps, phono amps etc. In these cases I demagnetized the tubes
directly (I built a tube demagnetizer, similar to a tape demagnetizer,
but designed for tubes). On certain tubes type this can make a big
difference.

I haven't experimented with the "demagnetize" tracks though.

For a long time I was skeptical of this "source not symmetrical" bit as
the source of the magnetization, I couldn't believe that it was really
that bad, until I started looking at waveforms of drums. In certain
types of drums the initial peak of the waveform is quite a bit louder
than the subsequent "negative" peak etc. This is very much a
non-symmetrical waveform. But wouldn't the phase of that initial peak
be random from track to track, studio to studio etc? Not necessarily.
The frequency of certain drums is low enough that common close mic
techniques can produce fairly common phase for the drum peaks from
track to track and album to album, particularly if the same engineer is
doing the recording or they are done in the same studio etc.

So if you listen to music with a lot of low frequency drums, done by
the same engineer/studio etc, you could easily wind up magnetizing
certain parts of your system. How much of impact this is going to have
on the sound is whole different ball game, I have not done much study
on THAT.

I haven't done much experimenting with these test tracks, but I would
not rule out that they could have some impact on sound. Any such affect
is probably going to vary radically from system to system and user to
user.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson