earwaxer9;631313 Wrote:
> Brings me back to the days when audio kit used to be compared in the A-B
> type fashion. Sales people had the time and the inclination to go
> through the stuff they had and try to find a match that fit your
> pleasure.
>
> Looking back, I'm not sure I would trust the A-B comparison now even if
> it was still available. I need more time. I can tell "differences" with
> quick comparisons but it would be hard to choose between good high end
> kit using that method. With lower end stuff it works pretty well
> because you are choosing based on what flaws you are willing to
> tolerate the most.

You are quite right to be a little suspicious about A-B switching. In
my experience it makes some types of difference between the speakers
very easy to spot, for example changes in frequency response become
very obvious - as do dispersion changes (given the right track and
room). However, it encourages the listener to evaluate the speakers in
small chunks of 5 to 10 seconds and this can be misleading. If I listen
to a new loudspeaker on a familiar track of 3 or so minutes then I will
slowly form an opinion over the whole track. For example, at the first
chorus I might think the vocal sounded a bit shrill when it got loud -
when the second chorus is reached I can listen out for this again and
try and confirm that suspicion. Perhaps I will decide this time that it
was not a problem. Perhaps after the track is ended I will pick another
track which I have more confidence that the vocal is cleanly recorded
to double check. If I had done the same test with an A-B switcher I may
have switched to loudspeaker B and repeated the part of the track - it
is conceivable that loudspeaker B is a bit sucked out in the mid and
gives a much less forward presentation, in this case I may come to a
completely different conclusion about loudspeaker A. There is certainly
a place for the A-B switcher but it is only to be used with caution!

Jack.

--
jackocleebrown