Tom186;647636 Wrote:
> Sure, both interesting, yours will depend a lot on the DAC though. What
> I am after is info on whether the Linn DS SPDIF output is that much
> better (or at all better) than that of a modded SBT ...
>
> Anyone?

The problem here is that such a test is only valid for one particular
DAC. There is such large variability in S/PDIF input circuits that if
you determine which sounds better with one DAC, there is guaranteed to
be other DACs where the reverse is true.

The input impedance of receiver circuits varies all over the place (not
very many are even close to the official 75 ohm spec). The impedance
match between the source and receiver is one of the important aspects
of sound quality.

A particular source does have a particular jitter and noise signature
on its output, AND a particular output impedance. Both the jitter/noise
AND the impedance match are important contributors to sound quality for
many DACS. The jitter/noise are going to be constant with different
DACs, but the impedance match is going to be a crapshoot.

The result of this is that say you have a DAC with a 90ohm input
impedance and you fed it from a source which has close to 90ohms output
impedance, its going to sound better than another source which has lower
jitter but has 75ohms output impedance.

This makes the whole concept of determining the absolute "quality" of a
source to be almost ludicrous. If you take several sources and rank them
with different DACs from different manufacturers the ranking order is
going to be different, guaranteed.

An interesting aspect of this is that because the final result is
primarily a combination of the two factors, if you take some sources
and significantly improve jitter/noise performance on all of them, the
impedance matching is now going to be the predominant factor, so the
variability in ranking between them is only going to get worse. So as
engineers and tweakers figure out how to improve the jitter/noise
performance of the sources, figuring out which one to choose for your
system is going to be even more of a crapshoot.

That does not mean that things like TT2.0 are worthless, far from it.
For a given DAC (say the one YOU have) making these tweaks can improve
the final results, because they are improving one of the two main
components. If your particular situation has a good impedance match
between the source and receiver then such tweaks may make a big
improvement. If your situation has a lousy impedance match then the
tweaks my be less effective. Again its hard to tell in advance.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that trying to make a
determination as to which source is better only makes sense if you
specify a particular DAC.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson