adamdea;656162 Wrote:
> Fibre optic cables are able to transmit data at huge bandwidths without
> (as far as I am aware) huge issues,
> Yet there appears to be an audiophile consensus that coax sounds better
> than toslink.
> Can anyone explain why this might be.
> Therre is a tremendous amount of interest on this forum for software
> and firmware mods which are intended to improve the sound from a dac
> connected to a Touch. It is difficult to see what effect these mods can
> have other than through the transmission of electrical noise which would
> presumably not be passed via toslink.
> So why is it that toslink is supposed to sound worse than coax. The
> only possible explanations i can find are
> 1) the signal sent by toslink leads to data errors in the receiver (ie
> the receiver cannot accurately read the bits) or contains  a large
> amount of interface jitter which the dac is unable to remove. Is this
> something inherent in the toslink medium or is it the fault of bad
> transmitters?
> 2) the operation of the optical/electrical conversion in the dac
> adversely affects the dac or analogue stages somehow
Yes... My friend who owns a fibre company that supplies broadcasters
finds this all hilarious... As do his customers...

modern TOSLINK cables and connectors do not add interface jitter and
can operate at high bandwiths.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.