magiccarpetride;661988 Wrote:
> I've been exposed recently to a number of the so-called 'paper sleeve'
> Japanese remastered/repackaged CDs (courtesy of a friend). I was
> skeptical at first, thinking that it's just an eye candy, but
> boy-oh-boy do these CDs sound way superior to their Western
> counterparts.
>
> A case in point: Dire Straits (their first CD). I couldn't believe how
> much more spirited the Japanese version sounds. Same goes for many
> other ones I've been fortunate to listen to side-by-side. For example
> Sade "Diamond Life", Culture Club "Colour By Numbers", Herbie Hancock
> "Headhunters", etc.
>
> I am now extremely curious: what's the secret that those Japanese sound
> engineers/producers have over the Western sound guys? How come the
> Japanese crew manages to squeeze so much soul, substance, spirit and
> sheer music out of the recorded performances? Going back to the CDs
> that were remastered recently over here, they sound pale and lifeless
> when compared to the CDs remastered and refurbished in Japan.
>
> Anyone has any insights into what's going on?

Starting in the early '80s, I worked for a Japanese company <in the
US.> Staying at a "company house" while I was doing IBM training, the
Japanese host had an Accuphase integrated amp hooked to Denon SC-101
"mini monitors." These are very small and very hard-working 2-way
speakers. I bought an "armored" pair on a trip to Japan and I highly
prize them.

Residences in Japan have small rooms compared to elsewhere. The typical
question is <translated> "How many tatami's" when asking about room
dimensions. Since "living" and "bed" rooms are often the same, a
"tatami" is 3" x 6" and provides a useful measure and represents the
"daytime" use of the room which has a floor covered in tatami mats made
of fiber and having a raised area in the center that includes most of
the room. At night, the <real> futon cushions come out of the closet
and are used as beds.

To make a long story short, Japanese listening areas are small and
close-up. Their speakers tend to be small and rich in lower mid-bass
and  thrive on the mix you describe.

If you are in the US, try the Japanese issues <I got from
overstock.com> of Doobie Brothers as well.

Paul

--
pski

real stereo doesn't just wake the neighbors, it -enrages- them.. It is
truly the Golden Age of Wireless