SuperQ;668083 Wrote:
> This is why there are professional services that do this kind of work.
> It should only cost a few hundred USD to have all the caps replaced.
>
> Personally I would suggest auditioning a modern power amplifier.
> You'll get a lot more improvement from that than trying different
> modern DACs on such an old amplifier design.

+1.

I used to have an SAE Mark XXX, eons ago, it seems! It was very good,
but no match for today's better designs. Coincidentally, I just gave it
away -yesterday- to an enterprising young man (I had forgotten I had it
in my closet!).

I would suggest having a look at the Emotiva amps. They sell direct,
with refund privileges, and are well thought of by some posters on
various forums. I personally never listened to them, but I've been
favorably impressed by Emotiva's business model and very fair prices.
I've got a number of their excellent cables.

Good luck!

Guido F.

--
guidof

MUSIC ROOM:
Marantz TT 15S1 Turntable, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge -> Conrad Johnson
Motif preamp
Oppo BDP--83 Universal Player; Squeezebox Touch (digital out) ->
Cambridge Azur 840C DAC -> Adcom GFP-750 preamp -> Music Reference
RM-200 Mk II amp -> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
DSpeaker Antimode 8033 equalizer -> REL T1 Subwoofer
BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch (analog out) -> Little Dot Mk III amp -> AKG K701
headphones
SECOND BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch -> Grado SR125 headphones