This might help; though this stuff can be very subjective.

My CEC CD Player has toslink/coax/AES-EBU over XLR outputs available,
so i decided to do a comparion of the 3, running into a Benchmark DAC1.
I used each interface for 2 months, and here is what I found:

1. AES/EBU: Rendered the warmest presenation. (Signal Cable digital
XLR)
2. Toslink: The most neutral; almost too sterile--although very tight
bass and smooth treble. (Sonic Wave quartz glass 1mtr Toslink)
3. Coaxial: Somewhere between AES/EBU and Toslink; not quite the warmth
of XLR, but more sparkle/depth than Toslink. (DH Labs D-75)

Take it for what it's worth...

--
steveinaz

- transport: squeezebox touch
- dac: benchmark dac/pre
- linestage: placette passive
- power amplifier: parasound hca-1500a
- speakers: fritz speakers carbon 7 monitor
- cables: kimber hero/8tc v.2, dh labs d-75