cymbop;670858 Wrote:
> Klaus, I just bought you a couple of beers via Paypal.
>
> I had the best-ever sound in my system running 2.0.  Totally relaxed
> and free of artifact, grain, or digitalis.  I had a friend over for a
> listen and his first words were, "Oh man, it sounds like vinyl!"
>
> 3.0 left me a little cold at first.  The sound was cleaner, but thinner
> and brigher, sometimes glaring, and altogether moving away from the
> moist, organic goodness I found in 2.0.  I had to change PCM bandpass
> filter settings on my Wyred4Sound DAC-2 from 60 to <50 (passing less
> information.)  I gave up and went back to 2.0 for a week.
>
> Yesterday I took Klaus' advice to try to implement the whole shebang.
> I don't have a smartphone, so I've always used the Touch as my
> controller had never implemented the screen-off mod.  I do have a PC in
> the room adjacent to my system, so I figured I'd try to screen-off my
> Touch and use the SB Server on the PC to control playback.
>
> It was worth it.  I got my richness back and was able to return the
> DAC-2 to the 60 filter setting to keep the top-end air.
>
> It's funny: being able to control playback from the couch, via IR
> remote to the Touch, has made me into a lazy, worthless sack of crap.
> Last night I groaned at having to get up, walk 12 feet to the PC, and
> select the next album.  3 months into ownership of the Touch, I'd
> forgotten the era of having to walk across the living room (uphill both
> ways, in the snow, I tell ya!) and manually change a silver disc
> spinning in a tray.
>
> BONUS FINDING:  When you factory-reset the Touch in order to begin the
> 3.0 install, it defaults the Now Playing screen to include the VU-meter
> and a cheesy realtime spectrum analyzer.  Even with the screen-off mod,
> the touch's processor is running the spectrum analyzer unless you turn
> it off in the Settings/Screen/Now Playing menu.  See if you don't
> notice incremental improvement after killing them both.

Have you tried screen-off with 2.0 as well?  I was like you - loved
2.0, tried 3.0, went back to 2.0.  I then tried screen-off on 2.0 and
noticed improvement, and then tried 3.0 with all mods applied.  I still
greatly prefer 2.0.

--
Howard Turkster

*Soft mods*: SC TT 2.0  + Dynaudio's mods
*Components*: Squeezebox Touch (analog outs) - Rega Mira 3 - Boston
Acoustics VR2s - Rel T2 sub, D-Link hub between touch & server
*Cables*: VH Audio Spectrum (Cu) RCAs, Chord Rumour speaker wire,
custom neutrik speakon cable (sub)
*Power*: Touch stock power supply with SBooster filter
VH Audio Flavor 4 power cable x2 (amp and sub)
stock DLink power supply
Porter A/C Ports
*Server*: Squeezebox server on Windows 7, Core2duo