Wombat;672898 Wrote:
> Just 3 questions because i know nothing about apples digital outs or
> alike. Only 3 questions about the 3 advantages of this software that
> were made.
>
> 1. Is the digital out of any Apple computer measured better as the one
> of the Squeezebox? Links please.
>
> 2. How does one qualify the sound of an Equalizer? Shouldn´t the most
> difference come from the applied gains? Not one Equalizer does exatly
> have the same curve. How to qualify this against other implementations?
> Besides that on a good system there shouldn´t be ANY equalizing so this
> is s non-issue.
>
> 3. Someone mentioned Amarra sounds best on Upsampling!? This is as dull
> as any claim can get. Perfect upsampling has NO sound. Maybe the device
> that is feeded by higher sampling-rate sounds better because of its
> strange design.

1. You'll be hard pressed to find comparable measurements of a Touch
and an Apple computer. One, b/c there isn't a standard for jitter
measurement. Two, b/c what are you comparing? What outs? The two
devices aren't necessarily directly comparable. Quite possible that in
one setup the Touch is superior and the Apple in another. So I'm not
sure any measurements that were made would be useful in terms of what
you would actually hear in practice. That's why you need to judge
equipment on how it sounds, and not on it's specs or parts.

2. Equalizer: Amarra has software equalizers that let you boost or
reduce certain frequencies. Not based on a set curve. Some equalizers
don't just change frequencies,but add their own sound signature or
distortion. The one in Amarra is reputed to be "transparent", i.e., no
sound signature.

Having a good system and equalizing aren't opposed. Your room adds its
own sound signature, and can boost or reduce some frequencies. Many who
want the most accurate sound think that they come closer to accuracy by
measuring their room response, and then ensuring that the output it
flat when room interactions are taken into account. This has nothing to
do with whether the sound reproducing equipment itself is accurate.

3. Upsampling. No, your view is a little simplisitic. Some devices are
known to sound better working at some sampling rates rather than
others. In addition, some users prefer upsampling b/c it enables
different filtering to be used which results in a different sound.
Again, this has nothing to do with whether the upsampling is done
perfectly or not.

--
firedog

GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running
Vortexbox OS; SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-DAC-V3,
MF X-150 as pre-amp, ClassDaudio SDS-470 amp; Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); sometimes use PC
with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82
which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.