I know several people (actually friends who usually get my betas) who
run Sabre based DACS (mostly TP Buffalos). I do also own two Sabre
DACs.

It's a myth that the Sabre on it's own gets along with jitter/noise
quite well. All changes done on the transport side you'll experience
1:1 on the Sabre output.

The key issue is the input stage of a DAC device, and not the DAC chip
itself.

Checkout the 'Anedio DAC'
(http://www.anedio.com/index.php/article/squeezebox_touch) page. Those
guys try their best to clean up the incoming signal first before it's
send to the DAC chip.
You'll find some interesting graphs about Touch vs. Anedio DAC over
there. They also talk about Jitter measurements etc.

I'd love to find a DAC/input stage which is immune on incoming
distortions. My Touch Toolbox project would finally come to an end. I
don't see light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Enjoy.

--
soundcheck

::: ' Touch Toolbox 3.0 and more' (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com)