Looking back on the thread, 2 years ago I was using a Cambridge 840C as
a DAC.  I switched to a Neko D100 DAC -- which has a more relaxed,
natural sound -- about a year ago, after ordering one for the 30-day
free trial.

I did try the Benchmark HDR briefly, but I found it too lean, and
didn't like the treble presentation.

Lately I've been running the Neko directly into a Bryston 3B-SST.  I've
had the Bryston for years, but didn't realize what a great sounding amp
it was until I tightened down the speaker posts on my spade-terminated
speaker wire with some pliers.  (They are the Audioquest combo
1/4"-3/8" spades.  Probably plain 3/8" spades or even banana plugs
would work better with the Bryston.)  A lesson in how important tight
connections are.  I could have saved a lot of money on amps.

--
Daverz