DaveWr;694502 Wrote:
> Above Nyquist sampling means all the data is available to recover the
> total signal.  It doesn't need infinite processing power, it is an
> analogue technique.

Well sorry to be playing devils advocate here.
But right now I read the argument as follows

a) there is a theorem which proves that under ideal (in the realworld
not achievable) conditions a sampling frequency of x will be good
enough
b) we use some totally different process to do the reconstruction but
still refer to the theorem and claim that it still applies.

For me this sounds like comparing Apples with Bananas.

Or to put it differently:

Mr. Dan Lavry begins his document with the statement:

> The great value offered by Nyquist's theorem is the realization that we
> have ALL the  information with 100% of the detail, and no distortions,
> without the burden of "extra fast" sampling.

(sorry I didn't have time yet to read the paper to the end, will do it
later).

And quite opposite to this statement a quote from Wikipedia about
Nyquist:

> In practice, neither of the two statements of the sampling theorem
> described above can be completely satisfied, and neither can the
> reconstruction formula be precisely implemented. The reconstruction
> process that involves scaled and delayed sinc functions can be
> described as ideal. It cannot be realized in practice since it implies
> that each sample contributes to the reconstructed signal at almost all
> time points, requiring summing an infinite number of terms. Instead,
> some type of approximation of the sinc functions, finite in length, has
> to be used. The error that corresponds to the sinc-function
> approximation is referred to as interpolation error.

So as the preconditions of the theorem cannot be met (according to
Wikipedia, sorry I don't have better source nor knowledge) I think it
is a valid question if we can overcome the (possible) deficiencies with
higher sample rates (or other means).

So for me this part of the argument has its flaws (while of course I'm
very happy to believe all the other proofs which include double blind
tests)

--
bluegaspode

Did you know: *'SqueezePlayer' (www.squeezeplayer.com)* will stream all
your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? *'Squeezebox + iPad =
SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)*
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)