Thanks pippin .

It is not about specific techniques let's assume that it is sota the
best 192k stuff is used during mastering and playback

I to so tries to make this point if we just leave bithdept depth aside
for a while .

Ponder for a moment that no analog signal recorded had any content
above > 24 kHz

Then a 48k signal and a 192k signal would contain exactly the same
signal it would reconstruct to exactly the same wave form you would not
even forensically be able to tell them apart .

What is said is that a digital signal has the necessary data to
completely describe any signal at fs/2.

this includes the time domain there is a fallacy to believe that the
content between samples are lost that there is an inaccuracy of +_ 1/fs
this is false.

So arguments for higher fs necessary implies that it should be any
merit of playing back ultrasonics .

There may be 1000's of reason for a studio or DAW software to operate
at any level .

As pippin and many others say to get that high quality 44.1 or 48
signal any kind of higher fs recording and processing can be involved
but that's not really the point , on the contrary employing such
methods will probably yield a perfect such signal for all intents and
purposes and actually prove the point that fs at 44.1 encodes all info
in the frequency domain we can hear.
But all beside the point

--
Mnyb