stop-spinning;695504 Wrote:
> I am interested in how the wireless protocol works with a Squeezebox
> Touch (or Duet I guess for that matter)?

There is no 'wireless' protocol. The streaming protocol over the
network is the same for both wired and wireless connections.

> I noticed when I used one some while back that there was a large buffer
> in the Duet - when I disconnected the wireless link to the computer -
> the Duet was playing for about 15 or so seconds afterwards - which seem
> to be a decent size buffer.

Right, but the length of time the audio will play from the buffer will
depend on the degree of compression of the data. It might be 15 seconds
for WAV (PCM), or it might be a couple of minutes for MP3 at some low
bitrate.

> So I just wondered - when playing music initiated from the Personal
> Computer, there is a slight delay before starting - so does music first
> get 'copied' to the Squeezebox over the wireless network - then once
> copied (which should be perfect if using TCP/IP and CRC checksums)- it
> then actually gets played from the copy on the SB itself?

The buffer is prefilled to some degree (I think measured in bytes)
before playback will begin. The faster the server and the network, the
quicker this happens. And why a faster network connection (such as
wired 100 Mbps ethernet) will be more reliable. If there's a network or
server interruption, the faster network allows the buffer to refill more
quickly and avoid underruns.

--
JJZolx