Mnyb wrote:
> PSU could actually influence other parts of your hifi it is not
> necesarily the squeezebox that gets improved

I've heard this a lot: I'm really not that convinced. For example, I
have an O2 headphone amp: it's prettymuch a cheapskate objectivist's
wire with gain for headphones. The power supply is simple and elegant,
mainly consisting of smoothing caps and a couple of generic regulators.

You can conduct an interesting test involving pulling the power cord out
of the back, with the amp on and headphones plugged in. It'll
immediately switch to an internal pair of batteries, causing a
significant voltage fluctuation on both rails (12V to below 9V). No
noise is produced in the headphones. Beyond the anecdote, the
measurements reveal that the equipment doesn't really give too much of a
crap about the power it's given. The power supply does a pretty good
job, and the exemplary PSRR of a handful of cheap opamps does the rest.

I really can't see this idea of mains contamination ever manifesting
itself as something that might conceivably ever be audible: likely not
even measurable in many cases, especially with the trend in hi-fi to
overengineer the power supply for marketing kudos...