dyohn wrote:
> Unless you are in a lab performing a technical analysis, comparing any
> two pieces of audio or video gear, or evaluating any audio "tweak," is a
> purely subjective process. It's all up to what you think. So compare in
> as close to equal settings as possible if you are trying to decide which
> sounds better, but also remember that there are a thousand factors
> beyond the gear's technical performance that will come into play during
> a subjective listening session. And there is nothing wrong with choosing
> one piece of gear over another for ANY of those reasons, including how
> it looks or feels or if it triggers a purely placebo reaction in your
> brain because you think it's cooler, or because it costs more (or less)
> than the other piece. All of those things are perfectly fine reasons for
> choosing brand A over brand B. It is only YOU that has to be pleased by
> your setup.
>
> The mistake some people make is to attribute their subjective opinions
> to some technical performance aspect when in fact their opinion may have
> nothing to do with that aspect. So don't try to find some reason in
> published specs or technical performance for why you think something is
> "better" unless you really have the skills and tools to perform a
> technical analysis. Just enjoy the ride and accept your brain's decision
> and all will be well in the world.  This is why I say that our mind is
> the most powerful component in any audio system.  It is our mind that
> causes us to "hear" and even more importantly, to have an opinion about
> what we hear. :)

I would agree wholeheartedly with the admonition to buy what you like,
regardless of whether it is a strictly for technical performance or an
issue of subjective perception.

However, that "some people make is to attribute their subjective
opinions to some technical performance" is far more than just "some"
when it comes to the audiophile crowd. I've come to the conclusion that
there is some deep-seated primal instinct that requires them to have a
fancy technical reason supporting their "I like it" choice. They are
simply incapable of admitting the name, appearance or other non-audio
subjectivity could have possibly influenced their judgement.