cdmackay wrote:
> thanks!
> So we're faced with either a lot of trouble trying to find the right PS3
> (if possible), or risking the dubious hdtracks website, which won't work
> in the UK for many (including me) without VPN games, and in any cases
> lots of people question the provenance of their tracks, their mastering
> info, and even suggest that some of their dearer 192 tracks are
> "upsampled" 96. Oh, and their lack of user support.

Thats the best case .it could be upsampled 16/44.1  or (45 year analogue
recording whose intrinsic quality is around 10-13bits ) which was not
uncommon during the years of DVDA and SACD and especially in SACD as it
was the more popular format and they quicly ran out of "real" hirez
recordings and HD tracks just rips SACD in some instances and they have
been caught  before  .
In the case of 192 vs 96  *IF* corectly done there is not much of
possibility of audio quality difference, if there is one it's in the
favour of 96 due to the possibility that there is to much ultrasonic DSD
noise left for example, so you "just" get suckered for your money ,dont
getting the product you think you paid for

cdmackay wrote:

> Sigh. Perhaps XRCD remains the best source for well-mastered files, for
> now? If your desired album is available...
>
> Or is it safe to assume that the redbook layer of an SACD will always
> have a downsample of the same mastered version as the SACD layer? Or
> might they stick an old CD version on there?
> apols if I'm getting OT.

Not at at all it could be any master for the CD layer  and sometimes is,
how else could they assure that SACD layer sounds better .
It's not always that sinister sometimes they simply take the opportunity
to give you another version ,but again you cant compare .

The evidence is if they sound remarkably different then you know it's
another master , I was going to say if they sound different *at all*
,but given how multiformat player sometimes work they don’t always
perform the same with all formats they support .

An interesting and though provoking experiment you could do yourself is
to down-sample your own hirez material and have a listen .
Listen to different on disc versions of the "same" album does not cut it
you actually want to compare different media you must be sure of the
files pedigree and the only way is to do it yourself .

But you might still find good mastering as SACD or hirez download or in
case of older music the actual early CD version it can be better than a
new remaster (read compressed to death ,desperate attempt to make
something old sound modern )

I do have bunches of DVDA ,but nowadays I realized the very unimportance
of the media carrier itself , I just try to get a good version in
whatever format it is sold  if there is more than one version .