garym wrote:
>  ...But in my day job I'm mostly doing scientific method-based research
> and I just can't measure "magic" or "air" in music...

I have some test tracks (Chesky, I think) which have recordings of
instruments at different distances from the mic. It also has instruments
at different height relative to the mic. I or in my system I dont think
I can notice the height very well. But the distance is very discernible
if the distance is more than 5-10 ft(vague memory). So something like
this could help evaluate the "room" in the original post. "Air" I think
is pretty much decay. We can probably measure the decay trail too. But I
doubt in dbs it will be much significant.
Re: FLAC vs 320Kbps. I have not done much testing but Spotify is easily
discernible for me from my original FLAC tracks. The music sounds flat
(no depth) and I think there is also some sort of "haze" or vagueness to
the sound. My FLACs when the system is at its best (late night/quiet
etc) sounds very 'crisp'.