netchord wrote:
> i don't use WAV or FLAC, my comments were about the audibility of
> compressed vs. non-compressed audio generally.  in the case of ALAC and
> AIF, and using the transporter, I can hear the difference.  I might
> speculate this is becasue the transporter will decode AIF natively,
> while ALAC must be transcoded on the server, but that's just
> speculation.
>
> and you're assuming that because two files are identical, they must
> sound identical to different users.  you're not accounting for the key
> variable, the hearing of the listener.  until you can measure that, you
> can't say with authority they sound the same, no matter how the file
> looks from a data perspective.

You can if the files are data identical , the transporter will output
the same thing electrically .
It is in the end that same PCM data that gets converted by the dac.
How ever FLAC and ALAC has possibilities for track gain that can be used
by the transporter.
This must be disabled .

Lossless compression is by defenition lossless , bit perfect the pcm
data is the same.

If you still don't believe  this a blind test may help .

A perceptual problem is much more likely .

"Hearing" has not really anything to do with it, when the stuff that
leaves the transporter is the same regardless of lossless file format
used.