As an ex-"solely objective" audiophile let me make the following
observations.

(1) We all hear according to our beliefs. Yes of course gross real
effects can impinge on any consciousness but the psyche is quite elastic
and to a large degree will hear according to world view. There is no law
that says this works only in the direction of hearing differences that
are not there. On another forum, a skeptical listener didn't perceive
any significant difference between several sources. But it was
established the sources were not level matched and the output levels
varied between 1.3 and 2.1Vrms. This doesn't prove the subjectivist
case, of course, but it proves that unstructured tests and hearing what
one believes are problems for all, regardless of belief.

(2) Blind listening. Very useful for putting personal perceptions in
perspective. To arrive at a scientific conclusion requires statistical
confidence and this requires a lot of repeated controlled tests. That
creates an unusual situation for the listener. Certainly, I've
experienced mental (not physical) fatigue rather quickly when trying it.
Once I've repeated it enough times to prove something statistically,
what have I really proved?

(3) Tests. I have a hard time investing in gear that doesn't measure
really well. But I do think that the normal rafts of tests are
insufficient. I would like to see more IM tests (with more than two
tones) and a way of testing more dynamic waveforms too. There are no
such standards AFAIK. There are few reports of harmonic distortion
profiles, instead the emphasis seems to be on aggregate harmonic
distortion. Are tests conducted under "lab conditions"? A great example,
using a very clean power supply without noise from switched power
supplies etc on the mains. If yes, the test may not be representative of
real world conditions. If no, perhaps this might influence the test
results. I'm not saying let's not measure, I'm saying you need to see
test results for what they are. Actually I am pro measurement -
Archimago's and Ken Rockwell's tests actually OPENED MY MIND to the fact
that digital transports and interfaces can differ measurably, measured
at the analogue output of the DAC. The differences are really small,
yes, but they are there. Why refrain from optimising things technically
when you can, just because you think it won't be audible?

(4) The sampling theorem. Sampling theory is perfect, ADCs and DACs are
not. This is fact, the only argument is over how imperfect and whether
it's audible.

(5) Audibility. Audibility is always in context. What might be inaudible
in my current system may be audible in another. The elusive concept of
"sound stage" is one area where high end systems operate at a higher
level than lesser ones. This is far less audible on headphones even
though headphones outperform speakers in many important performance
areas. This might be unproven but so many people hear it, it pays to
open your mind a little to admit there might be more to it than ABX on
headphones when refuting high end claims.

(6) What is hi-fi? For some hi-fi is being true to the recording. For
some hi-fi is about making recordings sound like real life. These are
very overlapping but very distinct approaches and either is valid IMO.
The confusion of these two approaches is very fundamental to the
subjective versus objective arguments. *Understanding this is key to
unravelling a lot of the confusing and circular arguments* IMO.

For me measurements and subjectivity can and SHOULD live together.
Demonstrated facts must be accepted but I accept also that scientific
models have changed over time, usually but not always by a process of
evolution. It's a reasonable bet the future will look similar. In the
meantime, we do have to use our ears, preferably blind, although some
will prefer the comfort of "knowing the facts".

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

SB Touch