mlsstl wrote:
> I didn't mean to diss Sonos, but they are a pre-existing product from a
> private company that has had the good fortune to not get sold to a
> number-crunching mass marketer. I strongly suspect that if Logitech had
> acquired Sonos, they would have met a fate similar to Squeezebox.
>
> Other than high-end manufacturers taking the occasional stab at an
> overpriced player with a host of limitations, there doesn't seem to be
> too much new activity in the player world. That was the basis of my
> comment about the state of things for music-only players.
Thanks for the fuller explanation. I agree with you point by point,
especially the one that Logitech could have sentenced Sonos to
death-by-incompetent-acquisition as easily as it knocked off SB.

The only other thing I'd add in the way of music-only players is the
surge of AirPlay enabled equipment. Which could be characterized as mass
market manufacturers making stabs at competitively priced players with a
host of limitations, which will probably turn out to be good bets for a
lot of them. Good financial bets that is -- not anything to do with the
audiophile forum.  ;-)