Nothing really new .

Meridian realised in the  early 90's that the way forward was digital
active DSP controlled speakers ( other realised that active speakers was
needed in the 60-70's ormpossiblynearlier for pa ) .

The Meridian speakers are not perfect I'm not saying that what I have is
actually prof of concept designs IMO ( se my signature )

In a different world I had 80 other brands of DSP driven active HT
systems to choose from that could accommodate for different taste and
acoustics ,speakers are never gona be neutral , so you must pick your
poison .
And they would cost 1/20 of my Meridian system . So thank you
conservative audiophiles for keeping us in the dark ages by paying the
likes of audionote money and buying those cables and tube dampers etc
:(

It did not really helped that with the inception of DVDA and SACD in the
early 00's it usually was an absolute no no from the media industries
to allow hi res digital out !? Especially for all 6 channels ( another
missed opurtunity ). Meridian and some few other where some kind of
exception .

So when I bought my prof of concept lab kit from M :) it was one of the
few that could take 6*24/96 signals do all DSP volume and xover and eq
in the digital domain and just leave the analog to drive the elements in
the speaker . In my pow this was the way to do it but why was it not
more common and why so expensive . It actually not rocket science and
any big brand far eastern mfg could do it if any one wanted it ,sadly
that was/is not the case .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4