pablolie wrote:
> i agree with you. totally.
>
> i am not sure why in this day and age we still think writers ought to be
> subject matter experts. pretty much every opinion article in the wall
> street journal betrays the fact every publication has an agenda these
> days... they stopped making money with subscriptions a while ago, now
> advertisers and donors call the shots.
>
> audio publications have no more credibility than our very own exchange
> in here... and i personally know who i'd rather listen to.
>
> personally - i will stay subscribed to stereophile, even though (or
> because?) i sometime vehemently disagree with what they write, but i
> think they honestly try, and disagreement is natural when people are
> passionate about anything, and even when they are wrong their writing is
> better than we encounter in most internet forums.
>
> as a rule i think passionate people tend to hate each others' guts more
> when they marginally disagree about something important to both them and
> their positions are just inches apart, rather than when they
> diametrically oppose each other in such a radical dimension that their
> paths never even cross in life...

I stay subscribed to both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound for several
reasons. First the subscription rate is cheap, somewhere around a $1 per
issue - if they ask for more just tell them no and they will reduce the
rate. Second they do sometimes get some things right or are at least
somewhat close. And finally because they are quite often hilarious,
especially when they are totally clueless (as is the case with most
things digital audio) or when they are clearly shilling for their
advertisers (as is the case with just about all cables and accessories)
or when they are clearly tripping over their own words trying to explain
why an inexpensive piece of equipment sounds so good.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos