Archimago as usual your views and research are a very interesting read.

Being a listener with relatively good hearing, I have often asked myself
if there really is a difference between a CD flac and 24/96. Often it is
the better remaster that makes the "big" difference.

Also maybe the placebo effect, still sometimes I prefer the 24/96files.
The difference is slight, but somehow it seems there is more audible
space in the higher frequencies - no idea how to put it - probably
sounds silly anyway.
I find it is best heard on a solo violin, it sounds a bit different -
but it it is difficult to pinpoint.

But, truthfully the difference is pretty small - so no real reason to
throw away all CDs and only buy hires.

Sure the industry is now hoping to have something that will actually
sell music again - since Streaming does not offer hires (yet).

The most interesting point is, how the human mind works - how we see and
hear things differently - if we want to, or are told to do so...

LMS 7.9.0 on Wandboard (SoA)
Synology DS-410j NAS
Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Radio, HifiBerry
PicorePlayer
Schiit - BIFROST Dac
Spotify Premium
iPhone: iPeng - iPad: Squeezepad, iPengHD