Yes, I realize I am preaching to the choir here.

I also read the audiophool forums like Audio Asylum though, mostly for
amusement purposes.  Stereophile has been loudly and preemptively
proclaiming this "Chinese Wall" thing for years, more so than the other
publications.  In the audiophool culture, many, perhaps most, have
swallowed this BS hook, line and sinker.  Atkinson has been a kind of
folk hero in that culture for years.  What's interesting is that now,
because of this issue, he seems to be viewed much more negatively by
many in that culture than in the past.

Another interesting aspect of the feud between Atkinson and Sam Tellig
is Tellig's reason for leaving.  He left because of Stereophile's
failure to pay him on time for his work, and his subsequent need to keep
pestering them for payment.  According to him, Stephen Mejias had to
intervene on his behalf in order for Sam to get his money.  This
suggests they may be in some financial difficulty.  If they go under,
I'm going to throw a party!

Last summer I bought the stereophool.com domain name and had thought to
make a parody site, but I'm too lazy to do that.