ralphpnj wrote:
> Perhaps the reason for this is that a microphone is like an ear but a
> good recording is like an ear plus a brain that processes (mixes) the
> sound coming from the ear (microphone) to create a more coherent overall
> sonic picture.

I think that there is no comparison between a microphone and a working
ear+brain combination. Things like the Cocktail Party effect come to
mind.

> I do find it interesting that even though many audience recordings are,
> as you stated, made from prime listening locations, such as right in
> front of the soundboard, these locations are really not the prime
> recording locations. Kind of opens up one's eyes to the fact that even
> the "purest" of recordings still need lots of technical "processing" in
> order for them to sound good when played on even the best audio system.

Audio as we currently know it is very crude.  From a realism standpoint
binaural recording may be about as good as it gets, but nobody has
figured out how in general to make binaural recordings work with
speakers.