SBGK wrote:
> Rather confused thinking there about extracting energy by making the
> wind turbulent. Turbulence creates drag, the last thing the windmill
> designers want.

Of course turbulence creates drag - that's obvious.  However the above
statement shows a lack of understanding about  the basics of
thermodynamics.

The above seems to ignore the fundamentals of energy extraction. I see a
complete lack of appreciation of entropy and its role in energy
conversion.

> They want laminar flow creating variations in pressure as it flows over
> the blades, thus creating thrust which is translated to angular motion.

Of course everybody wants laminar flow in their wind machines and other
airfoils, but that ignores the global consequences of extracting energy
from a flow of air.

One might be naive and think that the only way to extract energy from a
flow of air is to slow it down. However an improved understanding of
thermodynamics tells us that the overall method is based on increasing
entropy.

Perhaps the obsession with laminar flow over the airfoil has led to a
lack of realization that the air that has passed over the airfoil by any
means becomes more turbulent downstream of the area of laminar flow.

> this Harvard study seems to suggest that the wind does slow down and may
> affect regional weather.
>
> http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/02/25/rethinking-wind-power-harvard-study-shows-it-to-be-overestimated/

That is a very imaginative reading!

Let's be clear - there is no free lunch, never well be and that is the
gist of what the article says.

However, there are no actual findings of significant climatic changes in
that article.  At the most they are suggested, but only vaguely so.

Of course the changes have to exist, but what they are needs to be
quantified. If there is actual quantification, are please quote it  I'm
not finding it.

Merely finding a change or different is what  Golden Ear merchandisers
do. It's called "Raising a concern". It is often actually just FUD. The
evils of high end audio are largely based on unquantified effects that
are actually microscopic and irrelevant to reliably perceived sound
quality.

> "Each wind turbine creates behind it a “wind shadow” in which the air
> has been slowed down by drag on the turbine’s blades. The ideal wind
> farm strikes a balance, packing as many turbines onto the land as
> possible, while also spacing them enough to reduce the impact of these
> wind shadows. But as wind farms grow larger, they start to interact, and
> the regional-scale wind patterns matter more."

That would appear to be innuendo and statement of truisms, not actual
identification or quantification of actual effects.  I have no doubt
that there are wind shadows. The relevance of the issue is highly
dependent on what they are, not that they exist at all.

Calling people Confused when the only evidence at hand is based on
speculation and innuendo of unquantified effects suggests things like
poor critical thinking or a desire to extract an emotional toll for the
purposes of personal satisfaction.