I'm on to it but a bit reluctant to the "real" need for a bigger than
16/44.1 container for tier 2

Maybe for marketing reasons as the demographic simply won't believe how
good a CD really can sound and that's it, but still have some disbelief
in the back of thier mind that it could be even better in 24/96 . It's
not a technical margin ( that's set by our biology ) but a "piece of
mind" margin .
I may never be possible to get it trough records sounds bad because they
are bad , not due to containers anymore . The cassette the LP and VHS
all had serious limitations  . We don't have limiting container formats
anymore since streaming service got >320kB or better .
Unless we want to .Web radio have chosen to be on limiting container
format for thier business model , it would even impose problems for tier
1 in your scenario , but that's another market segment .

And ofcourse it should still be -recorded- in >=24/96 and processed as
floating point data until is down mastered to whatever format , tier 1
or tier 2 .

But it's worth thinking of . If you project the arrow of "high end" as
TAS will have it we all have 0.0000000003 watt SET amps costing a
trillion dollar with unobtainium transformers in 2100 .

Or 7D 80000k TV's and 625 channels for cool AV stuff if you project that
branch of audio .

That simply won't work at al :)
Good soundquality and picture quality can be an obvious commodity for
everyone on the cheap .

The focus must be back to the program material , the art of the music or
the movie . And the listening environment . The place and time to single
mindedly immerse in a work of art for its own sake . Not multitasking it
on the run while tweeting about it...

If one could sell the idea to just sit down and listen to music as a
trend ? The retro trend of vinyl is an indication , some of the new
generation do apriciate the idea of experiencing a piece of music .
Instead of the endless auto generated tapestry from some streaming
service .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )