drmatt wrote:
> Yes I realised I made a typo. You win the prize for pointing it out! ;)
>
> I do think it's a smart approach to a problem that most people don't
> care about. Trouble for MQA is that if you think you need more details
> than 16/44 then 99% will simply put up with 24/192 file sizes and not
> even care about the extra disk space. I fail to see who will buy a
> lossless high end compression codec when I read about people saying even
> flac sounds worse than wav files.. (and with the obvious fact that
> people have been endlessly complimentary about even good old 2.5 mbit
> six channel Dolby digital movie soundtracks for years).

Yup. Overall, you're correct about a solution nobody asked for... One
more thing - it's not "lossless" above the baseband 22/24kHz!

As per Mr. Stuart:
"• b) There is no foolery here: MQA does indeed *reconstruct a
remarkably close approximation to the original ultrasonic information*
from the lower bits of a 24-bit signal."

So remember, above essentially the CD/DAT part of the spectrum, it's a
*lossy reconstruction*. This is exactly what I expected despite all this
insistence that it's "lossless" and MQA's strange contortions on the
word "lossless". This is why I suggested to stream 24/48 if they think
"high res streaming" is of any benefit. Completely compatible and will
compress better!

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.