Regardless of the limitations of the messy digital treatment on display
here I would say DACs sound different. If there's a reason you don't
like the sound from the Transporter as a DAC then by all means find
something else, but I would say that even now the TP is still pretty
state of the art where distortion is concerned and your digital source
is most definitely going to limit the technical quality of the sound
being produced no matter what DAC you use. Highly revealing DACs are
often not nice when fed mangled low bitrate bits.