Lucmichaud wrote:
> What is the best output method to send the signal to an external dac.
>
> I recently tried a SPL Director.

Don't. The Transporter internal DAC is first-rate.

> There was a marked improvement when connecting it straight from a NAS
> to it though USB, but the improvement was barely audible when going from
> the Transporter reading the data wifi from my Surface pro 3 tablet using
> spdif.

Ever hear of the placebo effect?

> Anybody have an idea?

Your evaluation was most likely not level-matched, not time-synched, and
not blind. IOW you most likely heard what you wanted to hear.

I recently saw an industry survey that showed over 400 different makes
and models of ADCs.  What's ironic is that there are very many reasons
to believe that if the listening tests avoid the common errors listed
above, they would all sound the same.