drmatt wrote:
> Can we linguistically distinguish between "DACs" as in integrated
> circuits, awaiting soldering to a board with supporting electronics,
> which alone have no inherent sound (unless badly designed or faulty) and
> "DACs" as in consumer electronics products that have all sorts of other
> reasons why they might sound a little different.

The difference you suggest is generally either trivial (in the sense
that its no surprise for factual reasons) or non existent.

To put it in other words, both DAC chips and DAC-based audio components
have all sorts of reasons why they may sound different, but as a matter
of published scientific data, scientific data that I've gathered
personally, and DBT listening tests that I've participated in as either
listener and/or test organizer, it rarely happens.

When it does happen which is I repeat relatively rare, it is often
obviously intentional and publicized. For example a typical so-called
NOS DACs are obviously intentionally designed to sound colored because
the DAC was designed to be composed of two chips, but one of the chips
is left out to obtain the observed coloration (a high frequency
roll-off).

The vast majority of digital audio gear that is actually sold (probably
99%+ based on numbers sold) is sonically transparent - utterly audibly
faithful to its source. Most audiophiles go through their lives
*upgrading* one sonically transparent DAC to another, which is obviously
futile.

99+% of people's perceptions that DACs or DAC based gear sounds
different is based on placebo effects and personal bias.