output555 wrote:
>  However, when I use the S/PDIF digital out from the Touch and feed the
> signal into my headphone/DAC unit I am underwhelmed by the audio
> quality. It's far below audiophile standards.....
> So, my question is can I completely by-pass the Touch's DAC and only use
> it's digital line out, the same as the X5 allows? This would allow me to
> process a purifier signal through my separate, and much higher quality
> DAC.
.
.
This post doesn't make sense, you ARE by-passing the Touch DAC when you
use the SB Touch's S/Pdif out or the Optical Out directly to an outboard
DAC. Did you mean you were using the analog RCA Right/Left out to your
headphone amp?

So if you ARE using either the S/Pdif or Optical Out on the Touch and
its doesn't sound as good as the other way you were listening, you have
to have a bad cable as the Touch DAC would completely be by-passed and
sound quality should be identical as the DAC is receiving the EXACT same
digital file from the Server and is dependent on the Outboard DAC which
is the same for both setups. So what you should have in either case is
the exact same digital file (comes from you server) and the exact same
DAC (it's being feed digitally) into the exact same Headphone amp, so it
is impossible for them to sound different unless there is a bad
interconnect because no matter what device is feeding digital files to
the DAC plays no part as the input is the same digital file which
remains unaffected while in the digital domain. Make sure you are using
an actual 75 ohm Digital S/Pdif cable and not a 50 ohm mono-RCA cable
from the Touch out to the DAC's S/Pdif input.

*iPhone*
Media Room:
ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp,
Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers:
Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video:
Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model
3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini