I'm a music lover for a long time, but I never spent too much money on
it. I only have an old, but quite good, Denon HIFI amplifier, with a
pair of honest speakers from a little french maker (today disappeared),
connected to a touch.
I decided to buy some new hifi and put some money in it. I want to buy a
new amp (with integrated DAC or not), eventually an external DAC and a
pair of good speakers. Maybe later I'll buy a vinyl turntable. I've got
a lot of CDs (about 600) and a decent CD player but I mostly listen the
music from LMS.
I'm thinking about buying a transporter as an external DAC and music
streamer, do you think it can be a good choice these days ?
I'm sure there are many other options, cheaper and newer. I'm fan of all
the logitech squeeze products, they're all well integrated with LMS,
very good quality and sound, excellent ergonomics, but I wouldn't like
to buy something too expensive for it's quality, compared to what I
could get for about the same price these days.
I saw some new units on ebay, at '999 dollars'
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-Logitech-Transporter-Network-Music-Player-With-Transnav-Knob-BLACK-/162275332317?epid=114608393&hash=item25c85d10dd:g:uccAAOSwqYBWpXxs)
and some also new but without transnav knob for '499 $'
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-Logitech-Transporter-SE-Network-Music-Player-Without-Transnav-Knob-/161870947854?epid=114608393&hash=item25b042a60e:g:6QUAAOSw9mFWLvKR)
(that's a big difference for only a knob, isn't it ? is it worth ?)
I would have the same budget (1000 $) for the amplifier and same for the
speakers (1000 $), clearly I don't want to spend more money for the all
configuration and I'll certainly not spend 300 $ in cables (just to make
clear), so 1000 is a lot for a DAC maybe ? If you wanted to buy a new
configuration, would go to a transporter ?

Thanks for your advice and sorry for my poor english

LMS 7.9.0
on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch
Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...