Thanks for getting back.

Yes I realise the ESI is well out of date and only a basic USB
sound-card (The irony is that I used the ESI to transcribe much of my
vinyl); but I was learning how to do the settings in RightMark and
getting some dubious results with the onboard soundcard. I am not sure
how much I would want to spend on a better ADC, now that I have a feel
for what you have gone through with all that testing! I spent a day on
it, and could easily see my self getting more obsessive about trying out
new measurements.

It is tricky to do, as setting the output volume to the max seems to
overload the ADC and causes huge distortion figures, whereas have the
output to low and the noise looks terrible.

The PC is a 2016 desktop based on an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6
Skylake ATX Motherboard (supposedly with an audiophile :o dac built in).
PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PC Power Supply - Gold.
Intel Skylake i5 CPU & Radeon Graphics Card both water cooled. SSD /
HDD. In a fractal design r5 case. Plus a number of fans.

I have not attempted any audio tweaks or other additions other than to
make it quiet.

I did manage to track down that there was a bass roll off on the Audio
Note Dac - which was about -3.5 db down @40hz.

I found that a twisted silver cable ameliorated this by 1 db. But all
other cables tandy gold (cheap), audioquest ruby (mid) and silver foil
(home made exotic) were pretty much identical. Within the limits of the
ADC - which we have established is mediocre.