pablolie wrote:
> I'd also like to pile it on when it comes to the quality of recordings.
>
> I find myself disagreeing with a lot of the stuff that is positioned as
> a super high recording standard out there.
>
> A lot of those are very sterile sounding, and rarely feature top artists
> and ensembles in a really inspired performance. It sounds sharp, but is
> "meh" artisitically, imho.
>
> Then there's the stuff everybody thinks every audiophile must cream his
> pants all over to be credible. Cliche stuff like Daft Punk's Random
> Access Memories. To me it's like "There's barely a single acoustic
> instrument reference point here, and they mixed this with musicians
> laying down their particular track all over the world and artificially
> mixing it together." If I hear anyone babbling about Nile Rodgers'
> "amazing dynamics" I'll crush their skull with an oversized wrench.
> Really.
>
> Is it odd some of my favorite recordings are 1960s tracks like Bill
> Evans' "Waltz for Debbie" or the Coltrane/Hartman album? There's also
> stuff like Kevin Mahogany's Enja albums, you can tell they were all
> *Present* in the performance, not listening to stuff on headphones by
> themselves while laying down their paid for track.
>
> And that is when the recording is good. I agree the majority of music is
> at best very indifferently recorded.

I couldn't agree more!
Many of my favourite recordings were captured as musicians played 'live'
in the studio.
Some examples of  recordings which have been remixed/ remastered
brilliantly are the 'Super Deluxe' editions of the Beatles' Sgt Pepper,
White Album and Abbey Road.
They were remixed by Giles Martin.
I grew up listening to the original vinyl versions of these albums so I
know them well.
The remixed albums sound better than I have ever heard them before. It
is like being in the recording studio with the band.
It is testament to the brilliance of George Martin's original recordings
that his son Giles has been able to produce these exquisite, sensitive,
remixes from the original masters which sound like they were recorded
yesterday, not 50+ years ago!
The CDs are expensive  to buy, but I have been listening to them on
Qobuz at 16/44.1.
I certainly don't need 'Hi Res' as these are fantastic and show just how
good 'red book' can sound.